Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Weekend

We were out in Jersey for the weekend at Craig's parents-- I went shopping, wandered Wegmans (I love that place) and baked a cake. Craig dug out old fence posts and replaced them in concrete, rewired a lamp post, and replaced a toilet-- so guess who had a more relaxing weekend?! (Ok, so I did help with the toilet)
Wegman's is sooooo cool, I wish there were one closer. We keep hearing promises, but they never materialize. They have EVERYTHING. I got the yummy aged primadonna cheese we got hooked on while dating and taking trips to the reading terminal market (another wonderful place for food), the cotija cheese I need to make Craig the chilaquiles he got addicted to for breakfast in Puerto Vallarta, green Thai curry paste, lemongrass, mirin, rose and orange blossom waters, and these super tiny red skin and white potatoes-- they are going to be yummy. Oh! And the very best thing--- Digestive cookies! I love those things, my madre in Spain had them out almost every morning at breakfast-- sooooo good. And I can never find them anywhere-- and they had them, both the plain ones and the chocolate covered ones. YAY!!!!

On Sunday evening we grilled dinner in... I took care of the baked potatoes (somehow everyone thinks mine are really good-- I don't do anything much special to them-- I just put some olive oil, salt and pepper on the outside-- though this time I used "Crazy Jane's Mixed up Salt" and then bake them for a while)-- made some bacon for them, sauteed up some mushrooms and then made a little foil packet of smushed garlic and olive oil and threw that on the grill while Roy cooked the steaks-- the garlic turned out very yummy that way. I also made that coconut cake that I make all too often now and filled it with some whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Yum... a good dinner-- but it made for us getting a late start to get home.

We left Murph there to get him a vet visit and groomed (he was starting to stink!) and Jane and Roy will bring him back next Monday or Tuesday. Tiki really misses her buddy... she just wanders looking for him. Oh well, is she in for a shock when he gets back-- winnie's coming with him to stay for a month--- poor kitten won't know what hit her!

That's it for the weekend. Not too big. Yesterday was Bachelor Season Finale-- I had correctly predicted the winner-- so that was super exciting and we had a nice girl's night watching the finale.
Today its back to work-- gotta get some data--- want to graduate before I am 50.

3 comments:

S. said...

OK, what I want to know is, when do *I* get to try that cake! And I am even more impressed that a cake came out of that oven--you must be very talented.

I hear ya about Wegman's--I am very jealous. The best I have is Harris Teeter.

I know the folks appreciated your help and enjoyed the visit! Are you sure you don't want to take Charlie, too? The kids would kill me--he is actually adorable...good thing as he is a lot of work!

Nancy said...

I grew up outside Rochester, NY and Wegmans started up there. Danny Wegman's little "pet" store, that he tries things out in, is located where I lived.

My girls love to go out to dinner there. When asked, that is what say. Speaking of children, as a mother, I loved the free babysitting for the kiddies...age 3-9. Makes the experience a whole lot better. The girls always had great experiences there and loved doing the crafts they had available to do.

Tried the cake...but forgot the timer, so I think I over baked and it was dry. Still had excellent flavor and am going to try again this weekend. Maybe my head will be in it this time.

MotherB said...

I may have to break down and try that cake after all. Even without liking coconut, well, you're wearing me down!

Send the chili paste!