Thursday, May 3, 2007

This is what I am hungry for... sadly, not making this tonight.

This nukes really well-- so good. Left over rice is good for rice pudding or if you make the creamy coconut rice, then it is good with some sliced mango and a little bit of coconut cream drizzled in the rice.

Thai Basil Chicken

Adapted from this recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups uncooked jasmine rice -- cook according to package directions-- you can add a little extra coconut milk to the rice while it cooks for creamier more tasty rice-- plus it will use up the leftovers from the can of coconut milk)

3/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (yes, it looks and smells scary-- but its good in the recipe)
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I go a little less-- I am a wuss on spicy)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced (I use a standard yellow one)
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced (or more)
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2 inch strips (or little chunks or whatever)
1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
5 green onions, chopped (or more-- chop the white and a little green too-- thin chop)
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil leaves ( I never manage to get this much-- I would say I average 1/2 cup fresh basil tops)


DIRECTIONS
Bring rice and water to a boil in a pot.

Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
In a bowl, mix the coconut milk, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes.
In a skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat.

Stir in the onion, ginger, and garlic, and cook until lightly browned.

Mix in chicken strips, and cook about 3 minutes, until browned.

Stir in the coconut milk sauce and sliced mushrooms.

Continue cooking until sauce is reduced be about 1/3 and mushrooms are tender.

Mix in green onions and basil, and cook until heated through.

Serve over the cooked rice.

I usually halve the chicken part-- and still make as much sauce-- I like sauce-y rice meals.

2 comments:

MotherB said...

Is this the Claudia recipe? If it is, you have made this for me and it's wonderful!

S. said...

Yum, that sounds good! I have a delicious and sort of similar recipe, havn't made it in a long time, I will dig it out. Glad you like fish sauce...we will certainly be getting lots of it on our trip to Vn!